Module 1: Review of C# Syntax
This module reviews the core syntax and features of the C# programming language. It also provides an introduction to the Visual Studio 2012 debugger.
• Overview of Writing Applications using C#
• Datatypes, Operators, and Expressions
• C# Programming Language Constructs
Lab : Developing the Class Enrolment Application
Module 2: Creating Methods, Handling Exceptions, and Monitoring Applications
This module explains how to create and call methods, catch and handle exceptions. This module also describes the monitoring requirements of large-scale applications.
• Creating and Invoking Methods
• Creating Overloaded Methods and Using Optional and Output Parameters
• Handling Exceptions
• Monitoring Applications
Lab : Extending the Class Enrolment Application Functionality
Module 3: Developing the Code for a Graphical Application
This module describes how to implement the basic structure and essential elements of a typical desktop application, including using structures and enumerations, collections, and events.
• Implementing Structs and Enums
• Organizing Data into Collections
• Handling Events
Lab : Writing the Code for the Grades Prototype Application
Module 4: Creating Classes and Implementing Type-safe Collections
This module explains how to create classes, define and implement interfaces, and create and use generic collections. This module also describes the differences between value types and reference types in C#.
• Creating Classes
• Defining and Implementing Interfaces
• Implementing Type-safe Collections
Lab : Adding Data Validation and Type-safety to the Grades Application
Module 5: Creating a Class Hierarchy by Using Inheritance
This module explains how to use inheritance to create a class hierarchy and extend a .NET Framework class. This module also describes how to create generic classes and define extension methods.
• Creating Class Hierarchies
• Extending .NET Framework Classes
• Creating Generic Types
Lab : Refactoring Common Functionality into the User Class
Module 6: Reading and Writing Local Data
This module explains how to read and write data by using file input/output (I/O) and streams, and how to serialize and deserialize data in different formats.
• Reading and Writing Files
• Serializing and Deserializing Data
• Performing I/O Using Streams
Lab : Generating the Grades Report
Module 7: Accessing a Database
This module explains how to create and use an entity data model for accessing a database, and how to use LINQ to query and update data.
• Creating and Using Entity Data Models
• Querying Data by Using LINQ
• Updating Data by Using LINQ
Lab : Retrieving and Modifying Grade Data
Module 8: Accessing Remote Data
This module explains how to use the types in the System.Net namespace, and WCF Data Services, to query and modify remote data.
• Accessing Data Across the Web
• Accessing Data in the Cloud
Lab : Retrieving and Modifying Grade Data in the Cloud
Module 9: Designing the User Interface for a Graphical Application
This module explains how to build and style a graphical user interface by using XAML. This module also describes how to display data in a user interface by using data binding.
• Using XAML to Design a User Interface
• Binding Controls to Data
• Styling a User Interface
Lab : Customizing Student Photographs and Styling the Application
Module 10: Improving Application Performance and Responsiveness
This module explains how to improve the throughput and response time of applications by using tasks and asynchronous operations.
• Implementing Multitasking by using Tasks and Lambda Expressions
• Performing Operations Asynchronously
• Synchronizing Concurrent Access to Data
Lab : Improving the Responsiveness and Performance of the Application
Module 11: Integrating with Unmanaged Code
This module explains how to integrate unmanaged libraries and dynamic components into a C# application. This module also describes how to control the lifetime of unmanaged resources.
• Creating and Using Dynamic Objects
• Managing the Lifetime of Objects and Controlling Unmanaged Resources
Lab : Upgrading the Grades Report
Module 12: Creating Reusable Types and Assemblies
This module explains how to examine the metadata of types by using reflection, create and use custom attributes, generate managed code at runtime, and manage different versions of assemblies.
• Examining Object Metadata
• Creating and Using Custom Attributes
• Generating Managed Code
• Versioning, Signing and Deploying Assemblies
Lab : Specifying the Data to Include in the Grades Report
Module 13: Encrypting and Decrypting Data
This module explains how to encrypt and decrypt data by using symmetric and asymmetric encryption.
• Implementing Symmetric Encryption
• Implementing Asymmetric Encryption
Lab : Encrypting and Decrypting Grades Reports